5 Quick Tips From the TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre of Kansas to Help Protect You and Your Family from a Chance of Viral Infection
Nothing can guarantee that you won't catch the flu or other virus this year, but here are some things you can do to reduce your chances:
1. Wash your hands with soap and water as soon as possible after contacting any potentially ineffective person or surface (door knobs, pens, shaking hands, phones, remote controls, cups and bottles, etc.) Or Use Hand Sanitizers. Studies have found that sanitizers with an alcohol concentration between 60–95% are more effective at killing germs than those with a lower alcohol concentration or non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
2. Use the "One Foot Rule." Keep your hands one foot away from your face as much as possible. Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth. These are some of the the fastest routes of entry into your body for viruses.
3. Always breathe through your nose to get the benefit of the filtration and disinfection actions of the nose. This is a powerful barrier. Mouth breathing on the other hand, bypasses this protection and carries viruses, bacteria and molds almost directly into your lungs and increases your chances of becoming infected. ***Call our office if you cannot breathe through your nose.
4. Get 7 to 9 hours of quality sleep daily for adults; teenagers 8-10; adolescents: 9-13 and toddlers: 11-14. Numerous immune functions are restored during sleep.
5. Avoid sugar. Added sugars impair immunity in many ways.
We hope these suggestions help avoid disease and improve your overall health and well being.
To Your Better Health,
The Doctors and Staff at the TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre of Kansas